Sunday 12 April 2015

Ein Koffer in Berlin ...



For a large part of my life I hated to be German. It must have been a leftover from my parents and grandparents who were so ashamed for their people. This feeling of being in the wrong and apologizing for one's existence must have been in the general fabric and atmosphere of our home. For my parents, Berlin had the reputation of being the source of everything evil.
Times have changed. Germany's happiness index is definitely on the up - a few people still more or less openly hate us (apart from the obvious Greek press),  notably Martin Wolf of the Financial Times whom I like to read if I want to get some adrenalin into my bloodstream in the mornings  - but the new generation of young city people don't seem to care whether they are German or anything else. They simply enjoy life. For me, and for the time being, Berlin is the most interesting livable city anywhere.    Berlin

This occasional "Being German" blubber and photo series is about some totally randomly selected peculiarities of this part of the world that I observe and collect. I will start with "the Currywurst!"


Ever since Herbert Grönemeyer's "Currywurst" song, this peculiar dish is famous. It is actually a normal fine "Rostbratwurst", served cut up and smothered in Ketchup and curry powder. In Berlin there even is a museum dedicated to the Currywurst ...





Simon Winder, a germanophilic Englishman, in his immensely readable and funny "Germania" book has some nice passages about German food and German Wurst.  I recommend the reading, if you want some - incomplete and personalized, but very interesting -  overview of German history.









No comments:

Post a Comment