Thursday 14 January 2016

Wanderlust : Lizard Island, Australia

Everyone has a different way to recharge their batteries. Mine is by travelling - in body or mind - and filling my senses with new images, different forms, shapes and colours, different light, sounds and scents, new ideas. 



I had first seen the coral islands of the Maldives in the Indian ocean from above while travelling from Hongkong back to Europe once, even before we decided to spend a vacation there. Looking out of the plane window down onto that dotted wonderland of blue, green and turquoise islands surrounded by sand banks and expanses of deep blue-green water from a height of 30.000 ft, I thought for a moment, the pilot must have taken a wrong turn, must be taking a rather long detour from Asia to Europe,  and flown to the Great Barrier Reef instead. I landed safely and on time in Frankfurt though, so the plane must have taken the unfamiliar southern route over South Asia. 




Lacking any travel right now, I have gone through my images from a trip to Lizard Island in the Great Barrier Reef, which I visited when my travel-hungry daughter took an exchange semester at Sydney University in Australia in 2013.






the airport 








Lizard Island is a dream vacation spot - mostly warm weather, but not too dry, interesting wild life (the island is a National Park) with a world renowned marine biology research station, a leisurely hill to climb, great diving and on top of that, a small luxurious resort with great food. I wish I could fly back there anytime.... 





a very long tongue ...

a bee-eater


a group of white-breasted wood swallows (Artamus leucorynchus) on an umbrella tree (Schefflera actinophylla)


this tree is also a favourite of sun birds (Nectarinia jugularis)


The nest of the Australian jumping biting green tree ant. They build intricate nests by weaving together leaves with "home-spun" silk thread. They can jump on their enemies and have been known to jump on photographers who approached the nest too closely, so I kept my distance. 




a rose dove (rose-crowned fruit dove or Ptilinopus regina




they have flying foxes, too, but I could not get close enough for a good picture





the research station for the Great Barrier Reef gives guided tours



This is an image overlay of several images that I created there. I  associate it with Grönemeyer's "Träume für bare Münze" which is actually called "Halt mich". It is one of my favourite songs and one of his few melodious and peaceful ones, but never mind. 









No comments:

Post a Comment