Friday 26 February 2016

Siegessäule - Climbing "Gold-Else"





Continuing my touristy explorations of Berlin, I visited "Goldelse" last week, or "Golden Elsie" - that's what the lady on top of the column is called. 








The Siegessäule or victory column with the victorious heroine on top  is a glorification of wars won, Prussians against Danish, Austrian and French armies. It was erected in 1873, a different time, though after all not so long ago.







view towards Brandenburg Gate


war horses

after climbing 285 steps...





The view from the top is spectacular.




I stitched my first panorama, although it is a rather awkward format for the screen ..clicking on it will make it larger... The computer needed about an hour calculation time for this 58 MB picture, so next time, I will choose my motifs more carefully and wait for better weather, before I embark on such a project again. 





View towards Teufelsberg and the abandoned spy station. 

No comments:

Post a Comment