Saturday 4 March 2017

Chopin à Sept-Feuilles


I have been strolling through galleries at many art fairs in the past decades always on the casual look out for affordable interesting works for a few white walls at home. 
Some years ago these fairs seemed to spout an abundance of what I observed as very "negative" art, black or desaturated colours, full of abstract sexual violence, weapons or artists' unappetizing "home stories" that one would not want to own or decorate one's home with. I was always searching for some fun and humour and new ideas and rarely found them. But this period seems over.
The most interesting art has changed so much in recent years from painting to 3-dimensional installations that are boundlessly inspiring.  New techniques like 3D-printing and mixed media combined with photographic materials has made contemporary art very positive, versatile and fruitful.

Mostly I come out of these visits with a long list of creative ideas for myself - and I feel seduced to spend much time in my "studio" reproducing things and trying new techniques. Or -  as a gallery owner friend once put to me -  I am one of those most hated customers who think they can do it themselves... 

But this one I admit I felt compelled to make: it is an overlay of scans of the music of Chopin's "Fantaisie-Impromptu op. 66 c-sharp minor" which was my favourite piano piece for a long time and which I performed very often. 
I was inspired by works by Idris Khan who produces very elaborate intense pieces (looking very different!) and with different materials from scanning music sheets like the complete Bach Cello Suites. They had all been sold when I found them, and possibly out of reach anyway, so I have as good an excuse as any 

... they call it "appropriated art".



Chopin "Fantaisie-Impromptu op. 66 cis-moll" 

I had it printed in good size on brushed aluminium - it looks really nice and I found a perfectly good space for it: .... in the children's bathroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment