Thursday 4 December 2014

Cupid & Psyche



I have a faible for Antonio Canova, the Venetian sculptor (1757-1822) and his neoclassical marble works. My love affair started with a sculpture of a perfect couple (Cupid and Psyche) that I found in the Eremitage in St Petersburg, where she gives him her heart, puts her heart in his hands - or so I thought. When I met them again in Frankfurt's Staedel, where the miraculous Max Hollein had arranged a loan, I saw that she is actually giving him a butterfly, but never mind. Maybe she is of a flighty disposition.

From there I have searched for more Canovas and especially Cupid and Psyches and found them everywhere, in all centuries from 400 BC to now, in sculpture, paintings, household items, in London, Edinburgh, New York, Frankfurt, Paris ... . My favourite sculpture is the one in the Louvre. I am not alone in this - this beautiful piece of art is always surrounded by hordes of tourists so I was glad I could take this picture.   Cupid & Psyche

No comments:

Post a Comment