Wednesday 17 August 2016

Plant of the Month : Zinnia elegans


Zinnias are colourful annuals that I had overlooked for a long time, possibly because of their garish ordinaryness. Why do we always want things that are out of reach or difficult to grow or die on us after a short time? Why only soft and subtle colours? Zinnias are the opposite: loud and clamouring and in your face with many strong colors. They come along with a statement - here am I, strong, demanding and loud! Look at me! 

Zinnias, when sown in good soil outdoors, grow easily to become strong plants good for vases, displaying new flowers after each cut, lasting for several months from July until November. They come in all shades of yellows, whites, reds, pinks or violets. This year I found seeds on offer with the tempting name  "Cupid's Selection" - I had to order some and try them out. 









On a "cut-your-own" field close to our house  I found a long stretch of these lively heads - they are best in a wild mixture,  arranged into a colourful piece for the window sill. 





Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment